Permaculture Teacher, Consultant and Designer.
Geoff Lawton, 2013
All photographs © PRI
Received Diploma of Permaculture Design in 1995 in: Education, Design, Implementation, System Establishment, Administration and Community Development, from The Permaculture Institute of Australia.
Since 2000 Geoff has been a registered teacher with the Permaculture Institute of Australia.
In 1996 accredited with the Permaculture Community Services Award by the permaculture movement for services in Australia and around the world.
Since 1985, Geoff Lawton has undertaken 1,000s of jobs teaching, consulting, designing and implementing in seventeen different countries around the world. Clients have included private individuals, groups, communities, governments, aid organizations, non government organisations and multinational companies.
In October 1997 Bill Mollison, upon his retirement, asked Geoff to establish and direct a new Permaculture Research Institute on the 147 acre Tagari Farm previously developed by Bill. Geoff Lawton developed the site over three years and established The Permaculture Research Institute as a registered charity and global networking centre for Permaculture projects. Geoff Lawton is the managing director of The Permaculture Research Institute. Geoff moved the Permaculture Research Institute to The Channon, NSW in 2001, where it continues to run courses and internships year round, and educate students from around the world.
Permaculture Courses, Workshops and Conferences
Courses offered as of January 2009:
- Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) Course: 72 hour, two week course
- Introduction to Permaculture (Intro): 2 day course
- Permaculture Food Garden Course (PFG): 2 day course
- Permaculture Earthworks Course (PE): 3-5 day course
- Permaculture Project Aid Worker Course (PPAWC): 6 day course
- Permaculture Teachers Training Course (PTTC): 6 day course
2009 Courses offered
- PDC – 8 (Including Al Jawfa, Dead Sea Valley, Jordan, and Melbourne University with Bill Mollison.)
- INTRO – 4
- PFG – 4
- PE – 2
- PPAWC – 2
- PTTC – 2
- Lecturer by invitation – International Permaculture Conference, South Africa.
- 2008 – Australia PPAWC – 1
- Cairns PDC-1
- The Channon PDC – 4
- Melbourne University with Bill Mollison PDC – 2
- Quail Springs California PDC – 1
- New Zealand PDC – 2
- Vietnam – PDC – 1
- Lecturer by invitation – Idaho and California USA, Iran, Cuba, Morocco, Jordan
- 2007 PDC The Channon – 4
- Permaculture Aid Worker Course, The Channon – 4
- New York USA – 1
- Quail Springs California – 1
- Portland Oregon USA -1
- San Francisco USA – 1
- Tanzania – 1
- Mudgee NSW Earth Works Course – 1
- Lecturer by invitation – Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia
- 2005 – 2006 — Permaculture Design Certificate courses in New York, California, Oregon USA, New Zealand, Vietnam and Thailand. Key note speaker at peak oil conference in New York.
- 2004 – 2005 — Permaculture Design Certificate courses in Louisiana and New York USA, Mexico, Syria and 4 in Australia. New Zealand Key Note speaker at Auckland Eco Show plus multiple consultancy jobs.
- 2003 – 2004 — 3 Permaculture Design Certificate Courses, Diversity Farm, The Channon, NSW, Australia. 1 in The Ministry of Agriculture of Jordan. 1 in Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 1 in Cooroy, Queensland, Australia, 1 in Yalunga community, Barkers Vale, NSW, 1 in Oaxaca, Mexico, 1 in the Cypress Academy, West Wega, Louisiana, USA. 1 in Sinai, Egypt, 1 in Griffith University Brisbane Australia.
- 2002 – 2003 — 5 Permaculture Design Certificate Courses Diversity Farm, The Channon, NSW, Australia, 2 weeks of short courses and presentations given in Jordan.
- 2001 – 2002 — 5 Permaculture Design Certificate Courses Diversity Farm, The Channon, NSW, Australia, 1 in Minden, Louisiana, USA.
- 2000 – 2001 — 3 Permaculture Design Certificate Courses Tagari Farm, Tyalgum, NSW, Australia, 2 in The Channon, NSW, Australia, earthworks implemented at Diversity Farm, 1 in South Shona, Dead Sea Valley, Jordan. 1 in Minden, Louisiana, USA.
- 1999 – 2000 — 6 Permaculture Design Certificate Courses Tagari Farm, Tyalgum NSW, Australia. 1 in Macedonia with 129 students in one course. 1 in Central Highlands of Vietnam with earthworks implemented. 1 in South Shona, Dead Sea Valley, Jordan with earthworks implemented.
- 1998 – 99 — 12 Permaculture Design Courses, Tagari Farm, Tyalgum, NSW, Australia,
Large Japanese course 43 students, Tagari Farm, Tyalgum, NSW, Australia. 1 in Manaus Brazil with earthworks implemented.
- 1997 — Indigenous people’s workshop, Nimbin National P.C. Convergence.
- Presenter at the International Permaculture Conference, Perth 1996 (“Establishing and Maintaining a Strong Local Permaculture Group”).
- Presenter at the National Permaculture Conference, Nimbin NSW 1997. (“Permaculture Working Within the Local Community”).
- Workshop Presenter National Conference, Nimbin 1997 (Earthworks)
- Co-presenter of “Third World Indigenous Peoples” Course, Nimbin, NSW, 1997
- Presentation (slides), “Working in Indigenous Peoples in Permaculture”, Santa Fe, USA, 1997
- Second PC Design Certificate Course (72 hours) Christiania — inner capital city alternative community, established 1971, Copenhagen, – Denmark. 1997
- Working for the Brazilian Dept of Education on a second PC Design Certificate Course (72 hours), implemented large earthworks during the course in Agricultural College grounds. Manaus, Brazil. 1997
- Second PC Design Certificate Course, Guatemala. 1997
- First PC Design Certificate in Pine Ridge Reservation with the Lakota Sioux, South Dakota, USA. 1997
- 1996 — Bridgetown, W.A, two-day course for South and Central American PC activists
- PC Design Certificate Course (72 hours) — Cooroy Butter Factory Environmental Gardens. 1996
- First PC Design Certificate Course (72 hours) — San Lucas, Guatemala. 1996
- PC Introduction Course (2 days) — Ecuadorian Amazon, Napo River, “Yachana Lodge” eco-tourist lodge. 1996
- First Design Certificate Course in Christiania. (72 hours) Denmark. 1996
1993 – 1995
- PC Design Certificate Course (72 hours) — during which a large aquaculture dam was constructed. 1995
- PC Design Certificate Course (72 hours) — Porta Velho, Rondonia Brazil. A test case course for the Brazilian government. 1995
- PC Design Certificate Course (72 hours) — Manaus, Amazonia Brazil. A test case course for the Brazilian government. 1995
- Five PC Design Certificate Courses (72 hours) — Cooroy, SE Qld. 1995-1997
- PC Design Certificate Course (72 hours) — Cruzeiro Do Sol, western Brazil. 1995
- PC Introduction Course (4 days) — Pucalapa, Peru. 1995
- PC Design Certificate Course (72 hours) — Tena, Equador. 1994
- PC Introduction Course (2 days) — Cotopaxi, Equador. 1994
- PC Introduction Course (2 days) — Sushufindi, Equador. 1994
- Design Implementation Workshop (2 days) — co presenter, Palmwoods, SE Qld. 1994
- PC Introduction Course (5 days) LEAP participants — Caloundra, SE Qld. 1994
- Food Forests Workshop (3 days) — presenter – England. 1993
- Making a Living from Permaculture Workshop – presenter, Denmark. 1993
- PC Design Certificate Course (72 hours) — Bundaberg, central Qld. 1993
- PC Design Certificate Course (72 hours) — Assistant to teacher – Ballina, NSW. 1993
Participant and Student
- Farming the Future Expo August 1999 – presentation of global P.C. projects
- Farming the Future Expo August 1998 – 2 presentations of global P.C projects.
- P.C National Conference Nimbin, as a representative for PC Noosa, September 1997
- International Permaculture Conference – represented PAL & PC Noosa (4 days)- Perth. 1996
- International Permaculture Designers Convergence – represented PAL & PC Noosa (3 days).1996
- English Permaculture Conference – presented PAL slide show, attended teachers’ meeting.
- British Permaculture AGM – helper (3 days) – England. 1993
- International Permaculture Conference – helper (10 days) – Denmark. 1993
- International Permaculture Designer’s Convergence – helper (3 days) – Sweden. 1993
- National Permaculture Convergence & Expo – consultant – Crystal Waters, SE Qld. 1992
- Energy Efficient Buildings Workshop (2 days) – Tyalgum, north NSW. 1992
- Strawbale Building Workshop (2 days) – Tyalgum, north NSW. 1992
- International Permaculture Conf (4 days) – T shirt printer, Pappinbarra, NSW. 1984
- Permaculture Herbs workshop – Nambour, SE Qld. 1984
- Permaculture Design Certificate Course – Bill Mollison (72 hours)) – Stanley, Tas. 1983
- Introduction to Permaculture workshop (2 days) – Nambour SE Qld. 1982
Permaculture Consultancy and Design
- Mulloon Creek Natural Farms, Tony Coote — Little Billabong, NSW
- Waga Waga, NSW – Richard
- Numerous private consultancies, Queensland and NSW
- Suzlon Energy and Capital Wind Farm – NSW.
- Asked to consult on MASDAR, sustainable city design Abu Dabi, U.A.E.
- Jordan, Iran, Morocco
2006 – 2007
- Mexico project consultancy, Qatar ministry of agriculture and the ministry of the environment consultancy, Jordan design consultancy, California and New York in the USA consultancy.
2005 – 2006
- Wadi Rum in Jordan design consultancy on large development, Tabouk in Saudi Arabia, Qatar government consultancy, Bahrain coastal environment consultancy, Minnesota USA National parks consultancy.
2004 – 2005
- Vietnam project consultancy, Syria design consultancy, Mexico project.
2003 – 2004
- Kiribati, Tarawa in the far South Pacific, holistic complete island consultancy involving total island inputs and outputs.
- Jordan, design of ministry of agriculture research station for conversion to diverse, organic production.
- Iraq design of a completely destroyed Kurdish village near Erbil, using strawbale building technique for housing structures.
- Egypt, teaching and consulting on permaculture design.
- New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, taught 2 permaculture design certificate courses, one through association with Tulane University and one through the Cypress Academy.
- Mexico, Oaxaca taught a permaculture course to 53 students.
2002 – 2003
- Mexico, Oaxaca design of a permaculture demonstration site education center, including the implementation of four dams and a large water harvesting system.
- More design work in Jordan and Australia.
2001 – 2002
- Numerous design consultancy jobs in both Jordan and Australia, including the design of Diversity Farm the new home of The Permaculture Research Institute (now Zaytuna Farm). An integrated design including four dams and a large water harvesting system
- Dead Sea Valley, Jordan – Sustainable Arid Landscape Farming Model, demonstrating rapid reversal of salted landscape.
- Oaxaca, Mexico- implemented 3 dams, swales and designed new permaculture research institute.
1999 – 2000
- Cegrane, Macedonia — Rehabilitation of a 120-acre refugee camp.
- Louisiana, U.S. — Army Ammunitions Plant 1500-acre redevelopment
- Central Vietnam – NICCO Forest, Permaculture demonstration and education center and rainforest regeneration, implementation of 2 dams and a large water harvesting system.
- Australia — Hundreds of design consultancy jobs completed throughout Australia many leading to the implementation of water harvesting earthworks.
- Costa Rica – implemented major earthworks and dams. Initiated the Permaculture Institute process.
- Consultancy, Costa Rica (10 days).
- Food forests & farms (various) – western Brazil
- Sub tropical thorn desert (30 acres) – Ecuador
- Fishponds & swales (80 acres) – Ecuador
- Food forest, fishponds & native animal husbandry (600 acres) – Ecuador
- Food forests & farms (various) – Peru
- Rainforest & food forest (11 acres) – Ecuador
- Sub tropical farm (3 acres) – Ecuador
- Peruvian Amazon Aquaculture at Pucucalpa with Shipibo Indians.
- Re-visited for consultancy 1996
- Yachana Lodge; eco-tourist lodge (1760 Acres), Napo River, Ecuadorian Amazon. 1996
- Hacienda Los Luceros, Santa Fe, New Mexico. P.C. Development Consultancies
- 1998 Louisiana L.A.A.P Consultancy
- Macedonia 1999 re-design Cegrane 46 ha refugee camp as a permaculture research institute, including 8.2K of swales and a large number of swale bale buildings.
- Demonstration garden (2 acres) – England
- Energy efficient community (83 acres) – Denmark
- Demonstration garden (2 1/2 acres) – England
Permaculture Educational DVD Videos
- Harvesting Water – the Permaculture Way
- Establishing a Food Forest
- Introduction to Permaculture Design
- Permaculture Soils
- Urban Permaculture
- Director of Permaculture Research Institute, NSW, Australia.
- Director of Permaculture Research Institute USA.
- Director of Permaculture International Limited 2004
- Director of Permaculture Research Institute, Tagari Farm 2001 –
- ABC Radio 10 to 15 minutes radio show every Tuesday morning 1992 – 2006
- Numerous television and radio interviews on local and national television.
- Permaculture Noosa Vice-President. 1996-1997
- Assisted in the establishment of Permaculture Caloundra, 1997
- Permaculture taken on as the policy for Family Agriculture of the Amazon, Brazil.1997
- Permaculture introduced into the curriculum of the Agricultural College of Amazonians, Brazil. 1997
- Brazilian government establishes a department of Permaculture within the ministry of agriculture, as a result of the successful Brazilian test case courses. 1996
- Cooroy Butter Factory Environmental Gardens, conceived, proposed and partially supervised a six month community garden design and construction project. 1996
- Peruvian Amazon aquaculture system using Amazonian fish for the Shipibo Indians, Pucalpa, Peru 1995
- The Butter Factory (Cooroy, SE Qld) – committee member. 1995
- Permacultura America Latino (South America) — foundation director. 1994
- Permaculture Noosa (SE Qld) — committee member. 1995 -1996
- Permaculture Noosa (SE Qld) — president. 1994 -1995
- Permaculture Noosa (SE Qld) — co founder,secretary. 1992-94
- Tagari Publishing – representative (books & PC products). 1992
- Permaculture Nambour (SE Qld) – committee member. 1985
- Best of Permaculture book — co cartoonist.
- Local fairs & events — permaculture stall holder.
- Public forums & environmental issues — active permaculture participant.
Permaculture International Journal
- PIJ.47 — Magazine cover art work, co designer
- PIJ.51 — Brick & Tile Permaculture, author
- PIJ.53 — The Sleeping Jaguar, co author
- PIJ.55 — Ecuador, co author
- PIJ 73 — Permaculture Aid in the Balkans
- Green Connections — Future Food Security